Psychiatric Diagnosis and Classification
Format: Print Length
Publisher: Wiley; 1 edition (March 11, 2008)
Format: PDF / Kindle / ePub
Size: 8.3 MB
Downloadable formats: PDF
This book provides an overview of the strengths and limitations of the currently available systems for the diagnosis and classification of mental disorders, in particular the DSM-IV and the ICD-10, and of the prospects for future developments.
Among the covered issues are:
* The impact of biological research
* The diagnosis of mental disorders in primary care
* The usefulness and limitations of the concept of comorbidity in psychiatry
* The role of understanding and empathy in the diagnostic process
* The ethical, legal and social aspects of psychiatric classification
Psychiatric Diagnosis & Classification provides a comprehensive picture of the current state of available diagnostic and classificatory systems in psychiatry and the improvements that are needed.